Cell Phone: +1-204-952-2539 Office Phone: +1-204-421-5544 Fax: +1-204-415-5545


Extend Your Stay In Canada As A Visitor


As a general rule visitor are granted the right to remain in Canada for 6 months. When you arrive at a port of entry in Canada, a Canada Border Services Officer (BSO) will stamp your passport or travel document. If you look at the entry stamp you will often seen a handwritten notation within or just below the stamp which indicates the date you must depart the country by. This date is usually any amount of time up to 6 months. If you arrived in Canada and did not use a passport, then you are entitled to remain in Canada for 6 months.

If you wish to extend your visit, you should apply at least 30 days before your status expires in order. The main advantage of applying 30 days prior to the expiration of your visa is that, even if you do not receive a response from Immigration prior to the time your visa expires your application (which you must be able to prove with a receipt) deems you to have implied status until Citizenship and Immigration Canada provides you with an extension.



Restore your status as a visitor

In the event you failed to apply for an extension of your visitor’s visa prior to its expiration you may seek to “restore” your status if you make an application for restoration within 90 days of the expiration. Your chances of Citizenship and Immigration Canada granting a restoration increase where you have complied with all conditions of your visa other than the expiration and you provide a reasonable explanation as to how you allowed your status to lapse.

Upon the successful extension or restoration of your status, you will receive a document entitled Visitors Record. This document grants you an authorized period of stay in Canada with the conditions imposed by the Immigration Officer. It should be noted that the Visitors Record does not authorize re-entry.

Come and explore an amazing experience in Canada

Subscribe to our newsletter