Toll Free: 1-844-999-3345 Office Phone: +1-204-421-5544 Fax: +1-204-415-5545

Study Permit

Study Permit

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows international students to study at a designated learning institution in Canada.

Once a letter of acceptance is obtained from a designated learning institution such as a university or college, you need to submit an application to IRCC to obtain a study permit. An applicant for a Canadian study permit may include his or her family members on the application, so they may accompany the applicant to Canada. An accompanying spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit, enabling them to work for any Canadian employer, and minor children may be able to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools. Most international students require a study permit. You do not need a study permit if your program in Canada is for six months or less. In addition, minor children and other individuals may be exempted from requiring a Canadian study permit. Visit us to learn more about studying in Canada.

Work Permits for Spouses

Full-time students with a valid study permit can help their spouse or common-law partner apply for an open work permit. An open work permit will enable the spouse or common-law partner of the international student to work in any sector in Canada and is usually valid for the entire length of the student's study permit. To be eligible for this program, the student must be studying full-time, and have a valid study permit at:

  • A public post-secondary institution
  • A private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution and receives half of its overall operations budget from government grants
  • A private post-secondary institution authorized by provincial.

This open work permit allows its bearer to work for any employer in Canada, and does not require a job offer, or a Labour Market Impact Assessment. But this open work permit may exclude certain occupations (such as jobs in schools or hospitals) unless medical examination is provided.

Subscribe to our newsletter